Finding unique swing set ideas to transform your backyard for the summer could be the greatest gift to your family. One creative idea is to use old tires to design colorful swings. If you are short on used tires, your local mechanic or tire warehouse might be able to assist you in procuring a few. Turning tires into swings is pretty simple and requires little effort to get the project going.
Instructions: Turning Tires Into Swings
1. To start the work on your unique swing set ideas, source a few tires that are still physically in good shape. Inspect the tire to find the best side. Place the tire on a flat surface with the good side down. Use a drill fitted with a wick 1/2 inch (1.2 cm) to make holes in the top of the tire. Make the holes 1/2 inch (1.2 cm) from the outer edge and spacing them about 4 inches (10 cm) away. These are the drainage holes to prevent the tire is filled with water.
2. Go around the rim, using a piece of chalk to make three points on top of it. The points should form an equilateral triangle. To ensure that the points are evenly spaced, measure the distance between each pair of points. The measurement should be the same between each pair. Draw points 1/2 inch (1.2 m) away from the outer edge of the tire. Use a knife to make a small cut at each point. Make the slot no more than 1/4 inch (0.6 cm) wide.
3. Slide a washer in each of the three fastening eye and insert a pin into each of the slots. Twist the eye of each bolt until the screw is flush with the tire. Slide a fender washer on to the bottom of each bolt. Screw a nut onto each of the bolts to secure the eye bolts for the tire. The fender washers are larger than the bolts, which prevents the nuts from drilling through the tire when pressure is applied to this and other the unique swing set ideas.
4. Slide one end of an S-hook through each of the ring bolts. Use a pair of pliers to tighten.
5. Attach a three feet (0.9 m) piece of chain (or string) to each of the S-shaped hooks. Squeeze the top handle on each hook to firmly clamp the chain.
6. Keep the opposite end of each piece of the chain in one hand, and slide each end over S-hook through. Tighten again with pliers.
7. Attach a pin to the upper curve of the S-hook and press to close. The pivot allows the swing to move and rotate freely. Slide the connecting link in the pivot and slide the hook clip on the link connector. Screw the connector until it is properly closed.
8. Wrap the extra length of chain around the branch of a tree and connect the two ends with a connector link. Set the hook on the swing to the chain around the tree branch to complete this as one of your own unique swing set ideas.
Do you have another unique idea for a swing? Share it with us!